Thursday, May 29, 2008

Loose Tooth Turns Loose

We've been watching the younger sister's bottom tooth for days. Tonight I was able to pull it with the old "dry washcloth" trick my dad used on my teeth three decades ago. Simple enough, you just grab the tooth with a dry wash cloth and pull. If it doesn't come easily, the tooth isn't ready.

This is the first tooth she's actually let me pull, usually she chickens out and waits until the tooth falls out of her head. So far that's been only while eating something you'd never think would make it fall out - like cake, or pudding, or rice.

For the high tech dental extraction I lifted her up on the counter in the kitchen, peered in, grabbed with the washcloth, and pulled. It came out easily and she bled some, so I gave her warm salt water to swish - just like when I was a kid. I did one of those flash backs and remembered the bathroom counter where my dad hoisted me. It was great to experience another "full circle" event in parenting.

Here's to loose teeth and becoming our parents as we become parents.

No comments: