Friday, February 01, 2008

All-American?

Now the election is past, I wonder if immigration will return to the national conversation?  I heard the popular country song All American Girl sung by Carrie Underwood the other day - I was in Tennessee and heard country music everywhere I went. I like the song, even though it's cliche and trite. I can't tell you why for sure, but I think it has to do with having two daughters and being wrapped around their fingers.

But something also bugs me about the song. I sort of get the shcleppy concept of being the cute "girl next door" that loves her daddy and turns all the boys' heads. But on a deeper lever, what does that mean? How can anyone really be "all" American?

I wonder just exactly what an "All American" girl really is? I mean, how many generations does a family have to live in America to be considered "All American?" Does it mean you speak English? Pay taxes? Enlist in the military?  My dad shared with me about a week ago how our family farm has belonged to us since 1885.  Does that make me and my family more "American" than some of you who came here in 1946?  Or 2008?

It confuses me that any American would not want to share the dream of America with others. And I don't argue this just from a Christian perspective of liberation and equality as a God-given gift to all humans.   There is this deficient reasoning out there that says if we confer citizenship on immigrants (and let's be honest, we're talking Latino's here) that we somehow dilute our country's greatness, and in doing so pose an economic threat to the current citizens. But I don't see it that way.  There isn't a limited fund of goodness, wealth, or power that we are diluting.  We are adding to, not taking from.

Consider it this way.  More citizens equals more tax revenue, more productivity, more domestic trade, more product to trade internationally, more soldiers, more young people, and more rich diversity. Yes, it's going to take a few generations for Latino's to attain higher education levels and integrate fully into American life - but how long did it take your family? After all, unless you're on a reservation somewhere, you're not from here either, bucko.

Some folk say "they're taking away American jobs." I don't see it.  I can't find any white or black English speakers who want to mow my yard.  What jobs are they "taking away?"

Some say "They're a drain on the welfare system." Well duh. When we fail to grant them citizenship they cannot get legitimate jobs. Every illegal Latino I've known has a strong work ethic and sense of pride about providing for their family. Every legal Latino I know has that same work ethic and pride and they are great Americans, loyal to the dream and the republic.

Perhaps we should examine another drain on the welfare system - those "all Americans" who have been in the entitlement system for generations.

No comments: