Friday, January 19, 2007

If These Walls Could Talk

Not a Sermon - Just a Thought for January 19, 2007



This weekend marks 50 years since my church, Willow Meadows Baptist, dedicated the ground upon which our building stands. It is truly holy ground that has borne witness to life-changing decisions in the hearts of thousands over the years. As pastor, I’m frequently alone in the building and often last to leave at night. In the silence of this sacred space it’s easy to imagine the stories the bricks and stones tell each other when the building is empty of people. I wonder, what do they say?



Perhaps they remember the old names and faces. Maybe they talk about the laughter that has rung throughout the building as faithful Christians shared life together. I bet the organ pipes talk to the piano strings about the beautiful brides and handsome grooms who with hope-filled dreams began their married life in the sanctuary. The towering cross talks to the baptistery pool and names - one by one - the many that followed Jesus in the act of baptism. Even the pews remember the tears of the grieving widow or the repentant soul.



Yes, these 5.1 acres are holy ground, and we thank you God that you have seen fit to use this church.



When I’m last to leave I can almost sense the building breathing. Call me crazy, but I believe God inhabits this place. And I believe that late at night, when no one else is around to hear it, He says to the bricks and the stones and the steel, “Wait and see. Even as good as the past 50 years have been the best is yet to be.”



This Sunday we welcome our first permanent pastor, Dr. Ralph Langley, to the pulpit as he helps us celebrate fifty years of worship at 4300 West Bellfort. We’ll gather for Bible Study at 10:05 and worship at 11:10. You’d be welcome to join us, but please don’t tell anyone I told you the church building talks.

No comments: