Tuesday, February 03, 2009

A Hammer in Heaven

It is earth's loss and heaven's gain that Millard Fuller has passed away.  You may not recognize his name, but I bet you recognize the organization he founded:  Habitat for Humanity.

His life included giving away his fortune in responding to the gospel of Jesus Christ with a kind of radicality I rather envy.  

His life also included creating an organization that has helped more than 300,000 people own a decent home at an affordable price.  

His vision mobilized countless people (like me) to give up Saturdays and vacations to labor alongside other volunteers to build houses and help improve the lives of others.

Most of us will live our lives today focused on feathering our own nests,  but if you're reading this, stop and take a moment to learn how Millard engaged the world with his faith.  Then appreciate your own house and the abundance of your life.  Then ask God to show you ways to help others around you.  

Jesus told his disciples at the last supper, "In my father's house are many mansions.  I go there to prepare a place for you."  Call me hokey, but I've got this strange hunch that Millard is working on one of those mansions in heaven for someone else right now.  Millard heard, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."  Then he picked up his hammer and went to work building a house for someone who will be joining him later.      

No comments: