Wednesday, May 02, 2007

My Theme Song

I've been to quite a few Astro's games over my five years in Houston. One of my favorite parts is when an Astro's batter comes up to the plate his favorite song is played to "juice" him up to hit. I spend too much time wondering how these hitters chose these songs, especially since it's not appearing to help them this season.

I've decided that it would be good liturgy to have the same thing happen when someone steps up to lead in worship. For example, the scripture reader for the day could have their favorite song played as they walk up to the pulpit. Imagine hearing Blondie's Rapture just before a reading from Revelation or Daniel. Or how about Money from Pink Floyd while the offering is collected? And for the deacon who prays that day, how about Me and Missus Jones? Even the pastor who stands up to preach can pick his or her favorite song.

I'm searching for my favorite song. Could you, my dear readers who NEVER leave comments, take a moment to pick a song that you think might be an appropriate segue into the sermon? Currently I've got Sexy Back on the top of my list, but I'm open.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gary - If the deacons picked the pre-sermon music, it might be Dylan's "Idiot Wind," specifically the line,

Idiot wind, blowin' every time
you move your teeth.
You're an idiot babe. It's a
wonder that you still know
how to breathe.

For a sermon which blasts the specific sins of the congregation, how about some Elvis Costello, "I wanna bite the hand that feeds me!"?

Doug

drummerboy said...

one of my all-time favorites
"faithfully" by journey

Pa said...

I recommend "Amazing Grace" in the NO jazz style. At least it would be my favorite based on our path together so far.

Enemy of the Republic said...

I suppose the pastor could sing "you get me closer to God" by NIN, but the parishoners might walk.

Anonymous said...

how about duran duran's "personal jesus". it's your own...personal...Jesus....someone you to hear your prayers...someone who cares...etc etc

Anonymous said...

Since this well be Mother Day you could sing, or recite "MOTHER".